Sunday, April 27, 2014

Easter Ham

Hello lovelies,

It's been a while hasn't it? Don't worry I haven't gone completely crazy from exams yet! You heard right, I'm still writing exams! My five finals are over a three week period and it's been so hard to see all the Facebook statuses throughout the weeks about going home. My last one is on the 30th and then I'm home for one day, then my family goes to Toronto for a wedding for the weekend, and then I start my new job in human resources at Hydro Ottawa (Eeeeek so excited!!!) on the following Monday. If you want to read a bit more about my decision to switch jobs/fields read on!


It'll be go go go in the next week as I pack up and leave Lennoxville for 8 MONTHS. Major sad face here, it's bittersweet but it also means I'm embarking on new adventures!!! I mean I'm going to France, like what??

If you want a little update on my past few weeks here it is:
1) We had a major flood in Lennoxville that had everyone across the nation talking about Bishop's. It didn't affect me (much) but we sure got a kick out of all the shenanigans going on in the hood.

2) I hosted Easter dinner and it was fabulous (my new favourite word after my roomies and I watched too many Sex and the City episodes).

Here are a few tips on how to host Easter dinner:

✿ Pot luck all the way!!! When everyone brings something it's so much easier for the host and cheaper! You're also more inclined to make something fancy if you know that's the only thing you're bringing. I guess my friends are all foodies because we ate like kings and queens!


✿ Buy a few nice napkins and centrepieces and it sets the tone for the whole evening! I bought these beautiful linen napkins on sale at Fabric Land and I don't regret the investment for a second.


✿ Have an activity! Maybe I say this because I am a twelve year old girl at heart, but having the egg dyeing table set up was a great thing for people to do while eating appetizers and it gives people the chance to catch up (and for me to put the finishing touches on the meal).

 

✿ Ask for help! I always forget that hosting 15 people for dinner isn't a walk in the park. Don't be afraid to enlist the help of your friends.



✿ Sit at one big table. I can't enforce this enough! We were a little skeptical about having everyone squished in, but we have a huge harvest table with a banquet so we thought why not? It's so much nicer and cozier to have everyone celebrating together instead of having a few smaller tables (à la kids table).

Here's the recipe for the ham I made, it's my gandpapa's recipe!

Grandpapa's Easter Ham

Ingredients:
- 1 bottle of beer
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup brown sugar or molasses
- 2 Tbsp dry mustard
- 12 cloves
- Water to cover

Instructions:
✿ Put ham in a pot with all ingredients. Add enough water to cover the ham.
✿ Simmer on low for 1 to 2 hours, don't let boil.

****** I doubled the recipe since I was using a big pot and two hams.


Father cutting the ham
Happy (belated) Easter!

Enjoy

xox

Gaby







1 comment:

  1. That ham was FABULOUS! Makes for great leftovers!

    ReplyDelete