Monday, April 14, 2014

I Choose Happy

Hello lovely people,

Get ready guys, this post is going to get a bit deep and there's going to be enough cheesiness to throw a grilled cheese party. This blog has kind of become a way of sharing what's going on in my life and I think this is a good time to talk about happiness :)

Sometimes when I'm super busy and stressed it's so easy to just think about everything that I'm doing wrong. I ask myself how can it be that last year I ran more, studied more, partied more, watched more movies, and got better grades? It baffles me sometimes but then I realize that it doesn't really matter because right now I'm the happiest I've ever been. 

My whole life I've been a rule follower. I like rules, I like being on time, I slow down at yellow lights, I do what I'm supposed to do. Really though, who cares? I think this whole exchange/studying abroad thing has really pushed me into this weird state that I'm not used to. For once, I am not basing my life plans/course of study on money, convenience, or others' expectations, and quite honestly I love it! 

The past few weeks have been really hard for me because I've had to make so many life altering decisions. Ok, maybe not life altering, but decisions that throw a loop in my plans. Last summer, I worked as a financial audit student and I had a great experience, but I wasn't honest and truly happy. It was a great job, one that hundreds of students would die for, but at the end of the day, when I looked at the director of my team, I didn't see myself doing their job in 30 years. So I decided that if I could get a job a truly enjoyed, I would take it. This sounds pretty simple but believe me, it wasn't.



There's nothing I hate more than disappointing people or disappointing myself. So when I got offered a job that got me excited and eager for the summer to start, I had a tough call to make. I had already made a commitment to my job last year, so either way I would be disappointing someone. After many hours of thinking it over, I decided to choose the less glamorous job, the one that paid a lot less, the one that didn't include paid flights to Toronto, and staying in fancy hotels with free room service. Nope, I chose the job that I wanted. I chose to be happy.

Quitting a job is like breaking up with someone. It involves long phone calls, consulting with friends and family, and many lines like "I think it would be better for both of us" and "Don't get me wrong I had an amazing time last summer". At the end of the day though, I feel as free as a bird and I cannot wait to embark on a new adventure this summer. 

Next time you are making a big decision or planning your next big step, don't think so much. There's really only one tiny huge question that needs to be answered… Will you be happy?

Lots of love.

xox

Gaby

  • Did someone say Happy?
  • Here's a good start. Check out habits of supremely happy people.
  • Gretchen Rubin decided to test drive happiness theories in her Happiness Project.
  • I bet I can check off a few items on this happiness list.




2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Gabs! So what's the new job? Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post Gabs :) xo
    Moni

    ReplyDelete