Saturday, September 28, 2013

Company's Coming

Hello!

The other night I had some dinner guests and I made the best shepherd's pie. It wasn't your mother's shepherd's pie, it was made with sweet potatoes and ground chicken. I mainly made it because I got a ton of ground chicken for $5 the other day! I froze it (#typical) so I have chicken coming out of my ears. 

Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie with Ground Chicken


Adapted from Skinny Taste

Ingredients: 

For the potatoes:
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste

For the filling: 
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, diced
10 oz frozen mixed vegetables 
2 tbsp flour 
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp rosemary
- salt and pepper

Directions:

✿ Boil sweet potatoes and garlic until cooked and soft. Drain and mash with chicken broth, sour cream, milk, salt and pepper.  

✿ Preheat oven to 400°F.

✿ In a large saute pan brown chickenseason with salt and pepper. When cooked, drain and set aside on a plate. Add olive oil to the pan, then add the onion and sauté one minute. Add the celery, salt and pepper to taste; cook about 12 minutes, until celery is soft.

✿ Add garlic and mushrooms; sauté another 3-4 minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper and mix well. Add frozen vegetables, chicken broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, cooked chicken, and mix well. Simmer on low about 5-10 minutes.  

✿ In an oven safe dish spread meat mixture on the bottom of the dish. Top with mashed sweet potatoes. Use a fork to scrape the top of the potatoes to make ridges. Bake 20 minutes or until potatoes turn golden. Remove from oven and let it cool 10 minutes before serving.



With some fresh bread and a glass of wine you can't go wrong! I also served cranberry scones and ice cream from a local dairy in Coaticook for dessert. I saw a post on a blog I love about untranslatable words. One of them was the spanish word "sobremesa" that means the after-dinner conversation. I loved that! Well we had a lot of "sobremesa" until late last night and I was little sleepy this morning when I rolled out of bed to bike to campus and head out to discover the Eastern Townships with the BU Environmental Club. We had a lovely day and I had a well deserved three hour nap and a hot hot shower when I got home. 



Enjoy the rest of your weekend and run out to the store to get some sweet potatoes and ground chicken! 

Gaby

p.s. Check out my new blog features by clicking on the My Food or Me pics on the right hand side, and see where it takes you ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment