Monday, May 20, 2013

Memorable Meals and Monsters

Hi readers,

I hope you guys have been having a nice long weekend! It's so nice out, I don't know how you couldn't. If you've been stuffing your face all weekend, that's A OK. I made a batch of my friend Erica's (from Bishop's) Skor bars and I practically ate half of the 9x13 pan myself. I brought them to my picnic, which was super fun! There's just something about picnics, they're fun, innocent, and such a pleasure. Really, I got to eat yummy food by the water with three of my best friends. Seriously, how could that not be great?


Gabriela, Maggie, Pascale, and I got to laugh at all the other people who had the same idea as us.  I have to admit I LOVE people watching (were those caps too much? #stalker) and it was the perfect setting. Some went a little over board (think 15 pizza boxes and a portable bbq), and other families invited every Tom, Dick, and Harry they knew to have a celebration in the park. What mattered was that everybody was soaking in the late afternoon sun and just having a dandy of a time. Here is a list of picnic food I made:

✿ Chicken and Pesto Mayo Sandwiches
- French bread
- Mayonnaise and pesto combined in a small bowl.
- Sliced chicken
- Havarti cheese
- Alfalfa sprouts

✿ Veggie platter with dip


Erica's Skor bars 

Which are the best thing ever EVER EVER. Four ingredients and easy peasy.



Ingredients:
- 1 cup butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 sleeve of Premium Plus salted crackers (or however many you need to cover the bottom of the pan)
- 1 package milk chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Line a 9x13 baking pan with tin foil. Spray with pam.

2. Heat oven to 300 degrees.

3. Place crackers in the pan salt side up.

4. Melt butter and brown sugar, mix well. Pour over crackers.

5. Bake for 10 minutes

6. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips immediately. Spread evenly as they melt or stick them in the oven for a minute to melt them more quickly.

7. Freeze for at least two hours.

These were delicious but they're not the healthiest things and so my next recipe is for a mega smoothie Maggie recommended to me. It's from the blog Oh She Glows  and it's healthy AND delicious. The "Green Monsters" are perfect for breakfast and paired with a good bowl of oatmeal, I can last until lunch no problemo. I was a little skeptical at first because it's green and green means gross right? Wrong! Green means packed with great nutrients and I can barely taste it. I have made the recipe with kale but you can use spinach instead. 

Green Monster 

From Oh She Glows

Ingredients:
- 1 cup almond milk (or whatever milk you wish)
- 1 banana, peeled and frozen
- 1 handful of kale (or if you're using spinach, 2 handfuls)
- 1 tbsp nut butter (I use crunchy natural peanut butter)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds OR 1 tbsp ground flax
- 2 ice cubes

Blend everything and enjoy!








Yum!! Put one of these monsters in a to go cup/mug and you're set. Just don't forget to do a quick mirror check because chia seeds are pesky and they can get caught in your teeth.

Have a nice week,

xox Gaby



No comments:

Post a Comment